Do you have a favorite childhood meal that just doesn’t fit your lifestyle today? Or perhaps the original ingredients are not foods you eat anymore. Well, I went gluten free when I turned 18 due to my allergy and I watched 90% of the recipes I grew up go out the window. Over the past few years I have been slowly recreating my library of favorites while occasionally attempting to recreate my childhood favorites.
There was one recipe I had almost forgotten all about. Baked Mac and Cheese! But I had some obstacles.
- I can’t have regular pasta and most grains bother me
- I can only do cheese in moderation
- We never use cow’s milk
However, I conquered these obstacles and have brought back a classic! With the help of POW! Mac and Cheese and our easy Paleo Bread recipe for breadcrumbs, this meal paired with some clean protein and a healthy side of veggies allowed my childhood fav to make a comeback!
Almost Paleo Mac and Cheese
- 1 box POW! Mac and Cheese pasta made with lentils and quinoa
- 1 block sharp cheddar cheese sharp cheese is kinder to my body
- 1 loaf Easiest Paleo Bread (^^find link to recipe above^^)
- 3/4 cup, divided almond milk or fav non-dairy alternative (1/4 for mac+cheese, 1/2 for baking)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make mac and cheese according to box.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Mix salt and pepper to taste into your mac and cheese. (I LOVE white pepper in mine!)
- Place mac and cheese in a baking dish. (I find it fits perfect in the 3 cup glass pyrex rectangle dish. It is 5.5" by 7.5".)
- Cover mac and cheese with non-dairy milk.
- Cut sharp cheddar into thin pieces and arrange evenly on top of mac and cheese.
- Sprinkle with paleo breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and breadcrumbs are toasted.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before digging in. When I was a kid I enjoyed it with ketchup, now I enjoy it with a huge side of veggies and clean protein like grilled chicken! It's all about balance!