For my wedding shower, well over a year ago, my mom bought me the basic starter kit for canning. Well, it didn’t come out until I started to have a surplus of cucumbers, but then…I didn’t have any dill! So, I started doing some research on some easy pickle recipes and learned about refrigerator pickles. Not only did these recipes seem awesome, they seemed easy!! So, I took a little info from several different recipes and ended up with the recipe below.
I have made 3 single jars so far and the pickles will last two months in the fridge. It would be super easy to make several at a time if your family are huge pickle eaters, but my husband and I can only eat so many!!
- 2-3 cucumbers
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 sprigs dill (or 1 tsp dill seed)
- 1/4 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 tsp pickling salt
- Slice or cut the cucumbers to your desired length and shape. I used my mandolin to make hamburger style pickles. That is how we most frequently eat them in our house.
- Pack cucumbers tightly into a jar. I have used an old pickle jar as well as a pint size ball canning jar.
- Add garlic cloves, peppercorns, red pepper and dill to the jar.
- Bring apple cider vinegar, water and salt to a boil.
- Pour over cucumbers leaving about half an inch of headspace. Tap jar gently on counter to get out any air bubbles, and let cool on counter. Once cooled, place lid on and mark use by date (2 months from date you made them) and place in fridge. They will be ready to eat in about 2 days! Enjoy!